October 8, 2012

Fire Story

So here it is my friends, The Fire Story.

I had been craving chicken nuggets. We had all the stuff to make them and I was so excited!
I started early (at 4:00) so they'd be ready by about 5:00.
Well, I was breading the last piece of chicken when I heard a 'poof' sound. I looked over and my pot of oil was on fire!
I freaked out a little but we do have a fire extinguisher in our apartment. I figured it would be easier to get Kyle than for me to try and use it because my hands were covered in eggs and flour.
Well, lesson #1: If you own a fire extinguisher, make sure you know how to use it.
Lesson #2: If you do not own a fire extinguisher, learn how to use one.
Lesson #3: Stand at least 8 feet away from the fire and then spray.
Lesson #4: If there's a fire in a pot, simply put the lid on it and that should put it out.
Lesson #5: Sometimes, even when there is a fire and it seems like you're going to die and burn down the whole apartment, it is actually smarter to stop and think before doing. If you don't know what to do, call 911. They'll tell you to put a lid on the pot before you use the extinguisher that you don't know how to use.
"And I knew exactly what to do. But in a much more real sense, I had no idea what to do." -Michael Scott
This is exactly how I felt through this whole experience.
Anyway, Kyle stood too close to the pot and the fiery oil exploded. I screamed and called 911.
Lesson #6: Water puts out fire, but only after it explodes first.
I'm pretty sure this is a picture someone somehow got of what happened when Kyle put the pot under water:


I seriously thought he was going to die. Oh, and when that happened I was still on the phone with 911. 
I think this is how our conversation went:

911: "what city are you in?"

Me: "Orem"

911: "What's the address"

Me: "673..."

911: "Whats the problem?"

Me: "I was trying to make dinner and the pot caught on fire and..."

911: "Ok, did you put a lid on the pot?"

Me: "I...uuh...no..."
"AAHHH!!!" (high pitched scream)

911: "What's wrong?"

Me: "Never mind. The fires out"


911: "Idiot."

Anyway, the fire went out and we were left with tons of black smoke.
We opened all our windows and turned on a fan and went and sat on our porch.
The most annoying part was the whole time, the fire alarm was going off and it was super annoying and I'm just thinking "Oh my gosh! I know there is a fire!" But I couldn't get it to stop. Kyle eventually ripped it off the wall... and might have broken it...
While we were out on the porch he noticed his hand started hurting a little. I called my aunt and she told us we should go to the ER so we did!
Oh and the most annoying thing of this all is that literally two days before this I deep cleaned our kitchen. It literally sparkled like a diamond. So dumb.









This is when we got to the ER, so about 25 minutes after the fire started
WARNING: These blisters get kind of gross


Don't worry, he wasn't in that much pain, we were just trying to keep the mood light.





This is after the nurse had cut off all the blistered and dead skin



Unfortunately, Kyle wore his favorite outfit that day and it was kind of ruined. I almost cried over those shorts being ruined! He looks so attractive in them!
"Dear pants-that-get-ruined-in-fire god, Please guide me to a new pair of shorts just like these!"




And the unexplained event of the day is how my $3.00 mirror from Wal-Mart ended up on the ground shattered while we were at the ER... 


LEARN HOW TO PUT OUT FIRES EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE OF THESE!!!!


We are so very blessed that things ended up the way they did.
Kyle's burns were second degree and he's had hardly any pain from them. He got burned on his arms and left leg but the worst is on the left arm.
How it missed his face, I don't know.
Nothing, other than the oil, caught on fire, and the damage to the apartment is minimal. We had so much support from our families and I feel even more humbled at how many people care about us, including our Heavenly Father.
I don't know how we'll pay for the ER visit but I don't care because I am so grateful Kyle is ok.
Seriously guys, don't take your family for granted, you never know what could happen when trying to get an early start on dinner.

1 comment:

  1. This is Uncle Scott-Just a few observations: 1) You are definitely related to Grandma Shirley, who lit her stove up on several occasions; 2) what part of a chicken does a "nugget" come from?, and 3) Kyle has outfits?
    Glad you are all doing ok, though.....

    ReplyDelete