February 20, 2011

Mommy and Daddy #1

Now it is time to talk about my parental unit.
my.
parents.
are.
AWESOME.
I know as a kid I always thought of my parents as, well, parents! They weren't ever kids, they were just there to love me and take care of me.
I mean, I understood the concept that they were born and were babies and grew up and had been all the same ages that I had been, but it didn't really 'click' until a few years ago. Sadly, I don't think I fully appreciated how much alike we could be until my senior year in high school.
The week before halloween that year (2007) my band teacher (from freshman and sophomore year) passed away a few hours after he was in a bad car accident. He was young, around 30, and he was married with a 2 year old little girl. He really was an amazing guy. I won't go into a lot of detail about him, cause this is about my parents, but he was a great teacher.So, what does this have to do with my parents? Well, I was torn up about this death. I just couldn't understand why he had to be the one to pass on. I cried every night that week. I was really sad about it but my parents were there for me. My mom would sit by my and hold me while I cried and tried to understand. Well after a week, halloween night, I decided I couldn't take it anymore and I needed the Lords help. So before we went out trick or treating I asked my dad for a blessing. And it healed my pain.
For some reason, this started to open my eyes, that my parents were more like me than I had known. They had both experienced loss, and pain, and saddness, and confusion and they were there for me to understand my hurt.
From then on, when I had problems or was excited I knew that my parents did understand, and that has brought me closer to them.
My parents are also hilarious. They love to laugh and have fun. I can always count on a good time when we go visit them at there house.
There very favorite vacation is Disneyland. When we go to Disneyland, my parents are like children. We don't have any worries, any responsibilities. There is nothing but Disney and fun when we go there! My parents have always been a fabulous example in the gospel. Always taking us to church and to young mens and young womens. The way that they have lived their lives and raised us kids has been an example to me my whole life.
I'm so grateful that they have stayed true to what they believe and are always there for me. Last November, before we went to Missouri to visit Kyle for his homecoming, I was freaking out about going. I had said at one point that I was worried what would happen if Kyle didn't like me or if it was awkward and I will never forget what my mom told me. She said "If its awkward, then me you and dad will go get a hotel and we will have fun on our own. We won't let anything ruin our vacation!" And thats just how my parents are, always wanting to have fun!
I'm so thankful that my dad has always been worthy of his priesthood. There were many many times I had to ask him for a blessing and he always gives the best ones. I know that blessing are from the Lord but I could always tell that my father has a strong realtionship with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. His testimony and willingness to share his beliefs is a great example to me. He was always there to help with my homework and general questions about the world - even when I was stubborn - and he always loved to tell us stories. Two of my favorite things my daddy says: "He who has the best stories, wins!" and this one he sings: "You can't always get what you want! But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!"
My mom is the most beautiful woman I know. My mom was very good at teaching me and my siblings how to dress appropriatally for all occassions. I haven't fully adapted that trait but I try to use it when it is most important. She always leaves the house looking amazing. My mom has gone through some tough things in her life and has always come out of them stronger, but she never kept what she learned to herself. Always willing and wanting to help us kids grow in our testimonies, she shares hers in her loving and caring actions every day. My mom is also always trying to get us to do and be our best. She is talented in so many areas and has given up a lot of things that she loves to do to raise her children. I hope that I can learn to be that caring and giving with my own family.

I LOVE MY MOMMY AND DADDY!

No comments:

Post a Comment