September 12, 2011

When the World Stopped Turning.


Well lets see. It is September 11th and I'd be a terrible person if I didn't acknowledge this day. Honestly I don't have many words to say about it. It was dreadfully sad and I can't even imagine what it was like for those that it truly effected.
I was in 6th grade. My dad was driving me and my sister to school.
I feel like we were talking about CD's, because they were fairly new back then. It was finally my turn to talk and I was excited to say whatever really important thing I had to say - probably something about my friends Spice Girl CD which was the first one I'd seen and was incredibly jealous of her!
In the middle of my sentence my dad told me to be quiet. I asked why and he just said "SHHH!" and turned up the radio volume. (I was kind of mad, but I've forgiven you dad!)
I've never been a fan of the news so I was listening but mostly because it had been so important for my dad to listen to it. I think that what he had heard was them announcing the pentagon had just been hit.

My thoughts: "The Pentagon? What is that? It got hit by an airplane? That's really sad! Wait, how do you know what they were saying? Were you even listening to me! Can I tell you about CD's now???"
In my defense, I was only 11!
Really though, the rest of the day was a blur. I remember having the TV on in most classrooms. A lot of teachers spent all day talking about what the Twin Towers and terrorists were because a lot of us didn't even know. I'm pretty sure we didn't get through any lessons and then we went home.
I was so young and naive that I don't think it really meant much to me. I was sad that people died and I understood that it was an attack on America. But to say that I understood how serious it was, would be an overstatement.
All these years later, as I sit here remembering September 11th of the past ten years, all I can do is say that my heart goes out to those who lost people that day.
Who have lost them in the years to follow that day.
To those who have lost hours, days, months and years to the war that we are fighting.
I can't even imagine.
~Husbands and Wives~
~Mothers and Fathers~
~Daughters and Sons~
~Brothers and Sisters~
~Grandparents~
~Aunts and Uncles~
~Cousins~
~Boyfriends and Girlfriends~
~Fiance's~
~Friends~
~Bosses and Coworkers~
~Fireman~
~Policeman~
~Volunteers~
~Unknown Heroes~
~Americans~
I don't know how many times I have listened to this song over the years.
Take a minute to remember.

God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment